News Center > Winter’s cold can heat up power bills; here’s how to get help paying them
Winter’s cold can heat up power bills; here’s how to get help paying them
Entergy Mississippi has a variety of solutions to meet customers’ needs
JACKSON, Miss. – When it’s cold outside, energy bills can quickly heat up. That’s because electricity use is often higher in colder months than in the milder seasons of fall and spring.
Colder temps in January often result in higher bills in February. If you’re faced with a higher-than-usual bill and need help managing it, follow these suggestions:
First, use no more energy than necessary. Follow simple energy saving tips like these:
- Set your thermostat on 68 degrees or lower
- Reverse ceiling fans to push warm air down into the room
- Insulating doors and windows with inexpensive sealers from home improvement stores.
If a high bill has already arrived, here are ways to get help managing your costs or even paying your bill:
- Level Billing. Entergy averages your bill over a rolling 12-month period so you have a consistent bill each month of the year. Pay about the same every month, with no surprises.
- Pick-A-Date . Choose what day of the month you get billed to line up with your budget and manage your cash flow.
- Power to Care. Through Entergy's The Power to Care program, local nonprofit groups can provide emergency bill payment help to seniors and disabled individuals in crisis. Find out more at entergy-mississippi.com/bill-help
- LIHEAP (Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program) help people pay energy bills and other energy-related expenses. LIHEAP is funded through the federal government and works with community action agencies to help customers pay for and keep electric service in their homes. For information on how to apply for assistance, call 1-800-421-0762 or visit the Mississippi Department of Human Services website.
If you’re behind on your bill payments, don’t delay. Contact Entergy either through your account online or by phone at 1-800 ENTERGY (1-800-368-3749) to make payment arrangements, which can include delaying the due date or spreading the amount owed over a period of up to 12 months. Entergy’s customer service representatives can help you determine what solution might be right for you.
About Entergy Mississippi
Entergy Mississippi, LLC provides electricity to approximately 456,000 customers in 45 counties. Entergy Mississippi is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation, an integrated energy company engaged in electric power production, transmission and retail distribution operations. Entergy delivers electricity to 3 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy owns and operates one of the cleanest large-scale U.S. power generating fleets with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including 7,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Headquartered in New Orleans, Louisiana, Entergy has annual revenues of $10 billion and approximately 12,500 employees.