News Center > Entergy Texas continues bill assistance by expediting $2.7 million in security deposit returns
Entergy Texas continues bill assistance by expediting $2.7 million in security deposit returns
The company is returning security deposits to eligible customers sooner than the usual twelve-month waiting period
THE WOODLANDS, Texas – Entergy Texas implemented a series of measures to help our residential customers and communities through high natural gas prices and the increased usage of the summer months, including expediting the return of more than $2.7 million in security deposits for over 12,400 eligible customers.
“Our usual practice is to return residential security deposits within twelve months of satisfactory payment history,” said Stuart Barrett, vice president of customer service at Entergy Texas. “Accelerating the deposit returns will provide financial help to our customers when they need it the most.”
Entergy Texas made a $1.7 million pledge to bill payment assistance and collaborated with United Way of Greater Houston and neighboring United Ways to provide a $150 bill credit to qualifying customers on a first-come, first-served basis. The company contributed an additional $213,000 to Entergy’s Power to Care program and $170,000 to local partner agencies.
Additionally, Entergy Texas employees, energy efficiency contractors and Habitat for Humanity of Jefferson County partnered to host a weatherization event in Beaumont, Texas on September 29 that helped more than 40 homeowners optimize their energy efficiency. Weatherization efforts included caulking, weatherstripping, installing LED light bulbs, and more.
Summer months aren’t the only time when temperatures can cause an increase in energy usage. As we approach the winter months, customers can plan ahead to manage their energy usage and keep costs down with the following tips:
- Seal air leaks. Install weatherstripping around your doors, windows, and any location where there may be a path between the inside and outside of your home or business.
- Adjust the thermostat. Set the thermostat to 68 degrees and wrap up in layers if necessary. Each degree higher can add 3% to your bill.
- Conserve hot water. Set the thermostat to 120 degrees or medium and wrap your electric water heater with a water heater blanket, which can be found at home improvement stores.
- Keep doors and windows closed. Constant traffic will let out the warm air, forcing your heater to work harder to keep the room at the set temperature.
- Ensure fans are turning the right way. Fans should be run at a low speed clockwise during the winter to prevent the cold air from blowing down on you.
- Keep the air circulating. Don’t block heat registers or air returns with curtains or furniture.
- Leverage the sun. During the day, open your curtains and blinds to let in the warm sunlight. Close them at night to reduce heat loss.
Customers that need assistance with their energy bill can find options to choose from by visiting www.entergy-texas.com/bill-help.
About Entergy Texas
Entergy Texas, Inc. provides electricity to more than 486,000 customers in 27 counties. Entergy Texas is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation, a Fortune 500 company headquartered in New Orleans. Entergy powers life for 3 million customers through its operating companies across Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy is creating a cleaner, more resilient energy future for everyone with our diverse power generation portfolio, including increasingly carbon-free energy sources. With roots in the Gulf South region for more than a century, Entergy is a recognized leader in corporate citizenship, delivering more than $100 million in economic benefits to local communities through philanthropy and advocacy efforts annually over the last several years. Our approximately 12,000 employees are dedicated to powering life today and for future generations.