News Center > Entergy Recognized as a Top U.S. Utility in Economic Development for 13th Year
Entergy Recognized as a Top U.S. Utility in Economic Development for 13th Year
Entergy Mississippi’s Madison County substation, Excellerator Grants, ACT ‘boot camp’ cited among reasons
JACKSON, Mississippi – Site Selection magazine has named Entergy one of the nation’s top 10 electric utilities in economic development for the 13th consecutive year.
The recognition is largely due to the vital role Entergy played in supporting projects that resulted in some $18.2 billion of capital investment and the creation of more than 5,460 jobs in the company’s four-state service territory in 2019.
Entergy Mississippi programs and projects that the magazine mentioned included:
- A $57-million substation under construction at the Madison County Mega Site. It will give the industrial site a competitive edge in attracting large economic development projects and increase service reliability in this fast-growing area.
- The Excellerator Grants program. Entergy provides communities matching grants for marketing, site readiness and organizational excellence.
- ACT boot camp. This program closes the skills gap through workforce development, giving communities that are ACT-certified an edge when competing for new or expanding business.
“We’re committed to fostering growth in the communities we serve,” said Ed Gardner, Entergy Mississippi director of business and economic development. “Investing in these economic development efforts is one way we’re building the premier utility. We’re pleased to be recognized for our work, and look forward to many years of continued success for our communities.”
Entergy serves some of the largest and most energy-intensive industries in the United States. The company has been directly involved in major development projects that resulted in $153 billion of capital investment and some 100,000 jobs within its service area over the past 13 years.
These investments represent a variety of industries and companies, including Baxter International and Medline Industries in Mississippi in 2019 alone.
Criteria used by Site Selection for its rankings include the use of:
- innovative programs and incentives for business,
- website tools and data and
- each utility’s job-creating infrastructure and facility investment trends.
The ranking can be viewed in the magazine’s Sept. 2020 print issue and on the Site Selection website.
Entergy provides companies with access to essential information needed to locate, expand and promote their company within its region. Entergy also provides companies with services in site selection, project management, large projects and contracts. Learn more about Entergy’s economic development efforts at goentergy.com.
Entergy Mississippi, LLC provides electricity to approximately 450,000 customers in 45 counties. Entergy Corporation (NYSE: ETR) is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including 8,000 megawatts of nuclear power. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.9 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of $11 billion and approximately 13,600 employees.